--- Page 1 --- + Pax. Glenstal. From 1938 to 1948 the Community increased by 19 members. Glenstal numbered 20 in 1938, 39 in 1948 of which in 1938, 7 were Belgians in 1948, 4. Dom ede lebbe was prior in 1938 having a community composed of 7 priests, 4 clerics, 4 Nov and post. 1 Obl. 1 Bro. simp. prof. 3 Nov. & * post. From 1938 to 1948, 20 postulants received the habit 3 of which left before Noviciate, 1 before 1st. prof. 3 within the period of thier first vows with indult from Rome. 14 made solm. prof. and 11 were ordained priests. 2023-10-09 / 821 In 1939 and later in 1947 the Lord Abbot of Maredsous send a monk from * aredsous to help the fondation and during the years 1940, 1944 and 1947 four of the Belgian monks returned to Maredwous The Brothers were 4 in 1938, during the 10 following years 11 entered Novi. 3 of which 2 left during the Novic. 3 during the period of 1st. vows having obtained an indult from Rome and 3 made perpet. prof. at the end of 1938 V.R.D. Idesbald Ryele was appointed Prior of Glenstal and on his return to Maredsous in 1944 he was replaced by Dom Bernard O'Dea first Irish Prior. On the date of eretion of Glenstal to the status of conventual priory in Feb 1948 The then Prior Bernard O'dea was "nominatus" first Conventual * prior by the Abbot Foundator, Lord Abbot Celstine of Maredsous. On this occasion, a part from two who had returned to ** aredsous on account of their health, all the Belgian members of the community of Glenstal changed their stability to the new conventual priory. Glenstal priory numbered at the time. --- Page 2 --- 3 16 priests monks. 1 sol. prof. 4 in simple vows. 3 novic. one being a priest. 3 Brothers in perp. vows. 2 in simple v. 3 novices. 1 obl. Since then Brother Chrys. Lacey died and D. Bede lebbe who had returned to his abbey died at Maresso 2 postulants have received the habit for the choir and 1 for the brothers. 4 Officium divinum. From Oct 38 to Oct 46 the solemnity of the Office although fully recited in choir was performed in a reduced way following our possibilities Vespers alone were sung every day. Conv. Mass was recited. From Oct 46 Conv. Mass was sung every day. From sept. 1945 to Feb 48 the office of Prime was not recited in Choir but From Frb 48 all the office was performed daily in Choir. --- Page 3 --- #66666 Labora. 5 Studies From 1938 to 1947 following the necessities courses either of Philophy or Theology were organised for our clerics. 1938-39 we had 5 students in Theology. the Prof. were D.I. Reylandt, D.B. Lebbe and D.G. Gheysens kindly lent for this purpose by the Lord Abbot of Maredsou 1938-40 The Philos. and novices who were at Maredsous, on account of the coming war, were send back to glenstal were, with a special indult from Rome, the Nociate continued and the courses of philo. were organised. D.I. Reylandt and D.H. Janssen taught them while our theologian Br. Placid was send to Maredsous and Rome. 1940-41 The course of 2 years of philo. being finished with the help of R.F. Harington, kindly lent to us by the Dominicain Prov. and D. Hubert Janssen V. R. D.I. Reylandt organised a full course in Theolo. and Br. James Roche was send to the school of philo. 6 of the Holy Ghost Fane in Kimmage. 1941-42 The theolo. optinued but this time with the help of D. Moris kindly lent by His Grace the Archbishop of Cashel during the first term and R.Fr. Sheridan generously lent by the Superior of Dalgan 4 ark during the 2 following terms. 1942-43 D.P. Murray back from Rome, professed, ordained and degree helped D. Idesbald texxxxx and D.M. Dillon to give the theology to our 6 clerics 1943-44 the same professors continued but with only 5 students, 1944-45-46 the students numbered 4, same professor part from D. Idesbald who was replaced by D. Ephrem, kindly lend by the Prov. of the Dominic. 1946-47 Haxingxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx Our 2 theologians were send to Maredsous to finish their theology and here philosophy was organised by D. Placid with the help of D. Malachy Macguire and Mr. O'Neil M. A. D. P Th. for our 2 students. --- Page 4 --- 7 1947-48 3 of our clerics were send to University College Dublin to take their degree in Philo. Arts and History and one was send to Maredous for Philosophy. Meanwhile our two theologians who had finished their course came back from Maredous one in 1947 the other in 1948. In 1947 too D. James Roche was send to Maredous to study the silver smith in the Art School and D. Placid Murray was send to Rome to continue his course in higher studies in Theology. The annual exam for the young priests was xxxxxxxxxxxx took place regularly every year. Twice lectures from other orders were asked to come and assist at the interragation. 8 During these the last years the intellectual life of the monastery was xxxxxx carried on by the Fathers teaching in the secondary school, and at school as shown below and by different publication and conferences. The works of D. Idesbald Reylandt Mass and Interior life and Solif Discipline were translated by D. Matthew Dillon who himself wrote a booklet on Some Problems of Parents. D. Beda Lebbe after having published several articles on St. Bernatette in different reviews published his book The Solif of Bernadette translated later in French and in Spanish. By D. B. Lebbe too The Eucharist The Life of the Church. D. Placid Murray published a booklet on Glenstal. The annual rev. "The Glenstal" is published by the School in 1947 and 48. --- Page 5 --- 9 D.Winoc Mertens continued throughout these years the conferences on Plain chant. and several Fathers during the holidays gave the annual retreat to Ninus, and to schools. During the war three of our Fathers were Chaplains On in the famous 8th Army, one in the Royal Navy and the third in the Belgian Army; Two of them are still in the forces now. Library. Although the war had cut Irland from continental publications the Librarian since the war is over as made efforts to obtain the regular reviews of Studies: Theology, Philosophy etc. Art School. 10 In the course of his visit in 1945 the Lord abbot D. Celstin Golenvaux of Maredsous having found that the School of arts was was giving a full assurance of achieving its end, the monastery being unable to sustain the expenses and the government having given a grant was imposing it leave asked to more and more year after year, decided, to close temporally this work although it had given under the gidance of D.W. Mertens very appreciable results. D.Winoc having lost the help of D. Daniel Duisberg was helped in the running of the school by Brothers and later by D. Finnbarr and D. Peter. The boys and the families were sorry to see the school closed but it was unfortunately necessary. but It will be reopened in a later year. The boys remain attached their school. For the technical part lay masters helped D.Winoc. from 18 to the closing date in 1946 (summer), the boys numbered. --- Page 6 --- 11 "any of these old boys are a tribute to their old masters and to their school. Many are doing very well and they remain attached to the Monastery. One of the past pupils joined the monastery as a brother and is now in simple vows. Who have still working for us an old boy who beside doing all the wood work for the monastery does from time to time work for the outside, Priory School. 12 The Priory School continued to flourish from 1988 to 1989 under the xxxxxx Headmastership of Dom Martin Dillon. For the year 1989, 44 boys were enrolled. This number was more than doubled xxxx for the school year 1986-47 and now for the accademic year 1988-49, 100 boys are under the headmastership of D. Columba Breen. Every year boys had to be refused and now more than ever. The building xxxxxx affected to the school had to be enlarged every year. To secure the necessary tuition the headmaster was helped during all these years by Fathers and lay Masters. In 1988 3 Fathers and 3 lay Masters worked in the school. For this year 1988-49 a part from the 3 Fathers who have a full time work in the school 8 other Fathers give classes and 8 lay masters are employed. The results of the school have been very good. It is too early yet, as the school is young to say how our boys will stand in front of live but --- Page 7 --- 13 up to now we may say that our old boys are doing well in university. & xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx During these years 70 of the past pupils xx have consecrated their life to the Service of the Church 4 of them joined our noviciate, one of them is sol. prof. the 3 others in simp. vows. One past pupil joined the secular clergy of the Dioc- Dublin, one the Dalgan Missions and the other xx Has taken his simple vows in the Frans. order. 14 University Hostel. During the last summer holidays the His Grace Arch. of Dublin has granted permission to the ✓. R. Prior to open an Hostel for student in Dublin. D. Mattehw Dillon was put in charge by V.R.F. Prior and after two months hard work the Hostel was opened and the 23 beds booked immediately. Our past pupils who do not live in Dublin find there the real family by atmosphere (and benedictione which helps them in their University studies. --- Page 8 --- 15 17 Farm It is hard to detail the work of the farm during this period of ten years as on account of the poverty of our land the results of the work of one year can only be seen during the following years. but we may say that the farm as greatly improved during this period. The great improvements are: the acquisition of two big portion of land know as Moloney's and Carroll's. and since 1946 the Brothers have taken charge of the farm under a Father. The farm counts now: 15 Horses; 30 cows (milkers) other cattle 56 yearlings; 13 pigs; 30 hens. The farm gives throughout the year all the vegetables for the Monastery and School, the milk and some of the butter. It supplies too the college with bacon and a part of the eggs. "consommation" in 1938 the farm enrouted 2 20 cows - 10 cattle 4 horses - 2 co fijs 16-18 Greenton Although we are not fully organised to receive guests (we only have 6 rooms for them) during the summer period we are seldom without any and during the holidays it is normal to see 10 guests in the refectory. Nevertheless we have been able to arrange during these years in 140 a. general meeting of the comite of the Munntir na Tire with 40 in attendance; in 1945 we had a Socila week with a attendance of 70. We have regularly every year during the Holyweek the retreat of the past pupils and some other guests which amount to 50 last year. The Art School old boys come back every year for two days during the Summer Holidays and we have too every year a deay of recollection for the priests of the diocese the Apostolic Union. --- Page 9 --- 17 14 b. Owing to all these works mentioned which bring a certain benefit to the monastery we have been able to do all the material works mention in the following list during this period of 10 years without changing much our financial position. Our debt in 1938 amounted to £8466 and it amounted to £8848 at the end of 47 1947 and it will be more or less the same at the end of this year 1948. 18 15 Works. During this period of 10 years under the direction of the Cellarer and the Father in Charge of the works the following major improvements and building were done by our Brothers and workmen. 1938 Pigery for 200 pigs Sawmill and Engine. 1939 Extension to the Art School, Machine Room, and dormitory. A Building with the Office, Library Guest quarters (8 rooms) and dormitory for the Brothers 1940. The electric system of the Priory was connected with the Government Electricity supply Board. The same year an extra floor was erected on top of the square tower to provide 2 study halls and 3 class rooms. A poultry farm was started for 600 hens. 1941. the previous works were finished and minor changes only in the school: Showers, Bath rooms, Wash rooms. at the Farm the cow shed was built. 42 The building of the Noviciate wing and a new --- Page 10 --- 19-10 sewrage system. and at the same time a new water well was open. 1943-44 saw the building of a new extension to the Ar School: Infirmary, recreation room and class rooms. For the Secondary School a Favillon was built at the playing fleid and a Gym near the square tower. In 1946 a Cloister connecting the School with the Gym and xxxxxxxx the Chapel was built and in 1947 a additional dairy in the Fram. The great work in 1948 is the achievement of the plan of Glebstal Abbey Church and Monastery. In 1947 the Lord Abbot of Maresous kindly lend to his foundation DOM Sebastien Braun who came over an spend 6 months studying the plan of the future abbe D. Debeastien was again authorised by the Lord Abbot to come over in 1948 and after 6 other months of hard and constant work reproduced the plan of a manifestant Abbey the realization of the first part of which will start this very year. Deo Cratias,